In most cases, homeowners won’t be thinking much about their garage door until it needs attention. When this happens, people become frantic because they simply don’t know what to do. Do they repair it themselves or get a professional to do it for them?
While there may be among us who are DIY believers and think a garage door won’t be much different from any regular door, that might not be the case at all. It’s always a better bet to get the help of experts like those in Brisbane who do garage door repairs. You then won’t have to worry about a thing.
If you decide that the best way to deal with a dilapidated garage door is to get a new one, keep in mind some important things when shopping for one, such as price, safety features, and insulation. You’d also need to determine the best garage door material for your needs as each kind — whether wood, steel, or aluminium — has its share of advantages and disadvantages.
Maintenance Tips for Garage Doors
The old adage about ‘prevention better than cure’ applies to everything, and that includes garage doors. Here are some tips for maintaining your garage door, so you can avoid the hassle and the additional expenses later on:
- Do a monthly checkup of your garage door to make sure it works properly.
- Metal garage doors are stronger than wood, but they’re prone to rust. If you have one, it’s best to check damages to its finish (at least once a year), so you can prevent rust.
- If you have a wooden door, keep in mind that it needs a refinish or a reseal every two years (at the minimum).
- Never forget that water is the enemy of garage doors no matter what they are made of. Make sure your garage door doesn’t get wet from runoff and splashback from the roof’s eaves.
- Wash your garage door with water and mild soap on a regular basis. For metal doors, it’s a good idea to apply car wax after.
- Make sure the moving parts of a garage door — the hinges, rollers, and springs — get some TLC. Use lubricants made for garage doors exclusively and never those that are petroleum-based.
- Don’t let your kids use the garage door as a backstop when they play basketball or any other game. It will cause dings and other damage that might start small yet become big over time.
If you follow these tips, you might not be having garage door issues for a long time. When you do, rest assured that there’s a Brisbane-based, family-owned company out there that can fix all types of garage doors.